Friday, February 26, 2016

Creating a Survey

To gather research for my project, I need to gather responses from many different people.  The most apparent method for this was to create a survey.  However, given the nature of my questions I need to pose them in a way that will prompt people to respond honestly, given that people may try to make themselves appear different than they actually are.  After testing it on some of my family and friends, I made necessary changes to the survey and deemed it finished.  This is the survey that I will give to citizens of Scottsdale to gather information on the perceptions of homeless people.

For the survey where I need to ask questions to homeless people, things seem to be a bit more difficuly.  Through my time volunteering it's clear to me that people (understandably) don't like to talk about things related to becoming homeless.  The workaround for this will be creating a more informal, personal setting rather than simply handing them a peice of paper.

I plan on beginning to distribute said surveys next week and continuing to do so until I have gathered a sufficient amount of data.

Thank you for reading.

4 comments:

  1. I agree; scripting the survey seems to be the most important part to elicit many and meaningful responses. It is a sensitive subject, but I think that the anonymity of a survey will embolden people to respond truthfully. I am interested to hear the results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you put so much thought into the survey. Good luck handing them out and getting responses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Seth! I'm excited to see the findings of your survey. I know you mentioned in the post before that you're mainly working/surveying in Phoenix, but are you focusing at all on Scottsdale? I know that, at least recently, I've seen a lot more people with signs in the local area. It might be a thing to check out if you have the chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the thoughtful comment! I'm actually shifting my main focus to the Scottsdale area so I can learn more about the area nearby. I may still do some research on the Greater Phoenix Area but it will be primarily focused on Scottsdale.

      Delete