Sunday, January 24, 2016

Hello, and welcome to my blog.

I am Seth Johnson, and I attend Basis Scottsdale.  As seniors at Basis, we are given multiple different options to substitute attending school during the third trimester.  One of these options is the senior research project, where we are given the opportunity to complete a research project in any subject area we decide.  My project will compare the perceptions of homeless people to how homeless people actually live and became homeless.  As my main method for gathering information will be surveying people, I will be working at the UMOM New Day center, the largest homeless shelter for families in Phoenix, to get the largest poll of survey participants.

My interest in this topic stemmed from when I was younger; I always wondered what it would be like to not have a home. I began volunteering at various food kitchens and homeless shelters with my parents was I was in elementary school.  I continued volunteering with my friends once a month throughout middle school, and I have been interested in this topic ever since.

For the next ten weeks I will be updating this blog with my progress and results.  With the start of my project right around the corner I can't wait to begin working.

Thanks for reading!

Seth

3 comments:

  1. I think that your project will bring new insights into the homeless situation. Using the perspectives of the homeless themselves is a much-needed approach to humanize their plight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm interested to see what your results will look like. Is there any way that you're going to quantify the data that you collect or will most of it be qualitative?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire your passion for volunteering, and look forward to seeing your findings.

    ReplyDelete